The Foyer Gallery Artists’ Association (FGAA) is looking for innovative emerging and established artists to join the Foyer Gallery. We need dynamic, self-directed artists who are committed to hands-on operation of a City sponsored, artist-run centre.
Membership in FGAA is limited to artists residing within 150 kilometers of Ottawa. Regular exhibition in the Foyer Gallery is restricted to members of FGAA.
Membership Responsibilities and Benefits
As an artist-run gallery, membership responsibilities include:
- A minimum 1-year commitment with annual dues of $100
- Working alone in the gallery 2-3 times per month. Each shift is 3 hours long.
- Active participation on the Board and/or its committees
Benefits include the opportunity to exhibit your artwork in 8 group shows and one focus show (3-5 artists) annually. After one year of membership you may apply for a solo show.
Copyright of artworks shall remain the property of the artist. The Foyer Gallery will seek copyright permission to reproduce the images for non-profit publicity purposes.
Confidentiality of Information
Information provided by the applicant may be available to The Foyer Gallery committees and members of the jury. Personal information contained therein shall be dealt with on a confidential basis pursuant to the Municipal Freedom and Protection Privacy Act.
The Juried Call for Artists Process
- The FGAA board will assess your application in accordance with FGAA standards and requirements. Due to our location in a family-oriented community centre, works that blatantly deal with violence or sexuality cannot be displayed, and should not be submitted.
- An independent jury of artists will then review your submission. You will be notified of the results shortly after the jury process. Unsuccessful applicants will be provided with feedback from the jurors on request.
- Successful applicants will be contacted by email to set up an interview at the gallery of approximately 1 hour.
- Finally, successful applicants will undergo an orientation session in the gallery, of approximately 3 hours, to learn gallery processes and procedures. New memberships will begin in April 2020 and a prorated 2020 membership fee of $75 will be paid at that time.
Submitted artwork will be evaluated based on the presentation of a consistent body of work that demonstrates technical merit and creativity. Visual impact and viewer engagement will also be considered.
Call for Artists Application Requirements
Starting with this year, we only accept online applications. Upon filling in all required information, the online application form will redirect to PayPal to complete the application fee payment.
The application requirements are:
1. A $30 non-refundable application fee payable by PayPal
2. 10 JPG images representing work completed in the last 2 years to be uploaded to the online application form. The images must be 1000 pixels on the longest side and the size of the file may not exceed 2MB.
Crop your images to exclude any frames or background objects. If your artwork has an irregular border, or is 3D, please ensure the background is absolutely plain.
Name and resize your images to the requested size BEFORE starting to complete the application form.
Please name your images using the following standard pattern and numbering:
01_FirstName_LastName_Artwork Title_Medium_YearCreated _ArtworkSizeHxWxD.jp (e.g. 01_Jane_Doe_A view from above_acrylic_2019_24x48x2.jpg).
The names of the images must match the file names in your image list (see #3 below). The artwork size in the file name must be in inches.
3. A List of Images (Word or PDF format) indicating the image number (coinciding with the image file name number), title, medium, size in inches HxWxD (frame excluded), support (canvas, paper, etc.), and year of creation. For your convenience, you can find below a template of the required list in Word format that you may download, complete and upload to the application form. Please use this template, if possible.
4. A one-page Biography including your Artist Statement (Word or PDF format) focused on artistic accomplishments to date (to be uploaded to the online application form). Your Artist statement should be 100 words or less, preferably regarding the images being submitted. Please use a 12 pt font or larger in your file.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Application submissions will be accepted from February 1 to March 16, 2020.