Erika Farkas is a self-taught visual artist born in Transylvania, Romania, and living in Ottawa since the late 1980s. Immigrating to Canada at a time when hi-tech was booming drove her to pursue a technical training, from which she graduated with a degree in electrical engineering. Although life’s reality took her on a different career path, artistic creativity has always been a big part of her life. She started exhibiting her figurative pencil drawings in 2013, and has won several awards with them in juried local and international art exhibitions in Ottawa and online.
Erika is currently an active member of the Foyer Gallery, Nepean Fine Arts League, and Arteast. She exhibits throughout the year at the Foyer Gallery, NFAL Gallery, as well as in various shows and other artistic events in Ottawa and online. Her sold and commissioned works can be found in private collections in North America and Europe.
Erika gladly accepts people and pet portrait commissions of graphite/charcoal pencil drawings or pastel paintings. Visit her commissions website at www.portraitsfrompicture.com for details.
“After working with graphite and charcoal pencils for some years, I was thrilled to discover the colourful and exciting world of pastels, acrylic, oil and mixed media. There really is no preferred medium for me, and I will probably never just stick to one. I am eager to continuously discover new ways to stretch the limits of creativity. Same goes for artistic style. I love creating realistic works, but I also like abstracts, surreal and works in a mixed style.
I feel that I am only at the beginning of my artistic journey. There is so much more that I can try, so many new ways to challenge myself. This journey is worth all the hard work, because for me it is both deeply therapeutic and emotionally fulfilling.”
- “Purely Pastel”, Café 111, Ottawa City Hall Building, 2018
- “Beyond the Ordinary”, Lunasole, Orleans, 2018
- “Purely Pastel”, Biagio’s, 2018
- “Artistic Explorations”, Foyer Gallery, 2017
- “Summer Splendour”, St. Laurent Public Library, 2016
- “A Tapestry of Colours”, Cafe 111, Ottawa City Hall, 2015
- “Figurative Mix”, Blackburn Hamlet Public Library, 2015
- “Pencil Works”, Centrepointe Theatre Gallery, 2015
- “Artist of the Month”, 25One Community, 2014
- “Pencil Works”, The Table, 2014
- “Tender Moments”, Lunasole Resto-Bar, 2014
- “Pencil Works”, Irene’s Pub, 2014