Erika Farkas is a self-taught visual artist originally from Transylvania, Romania, and calls Ottawa her home since the late 1980s. She holds a degree in electrical engineering from Carleton University, and her present career is in Information Technology at the City of Ottawa. Although Erika never had any formal art training, artistic creativity has always been a big part of her life. She started exhibiting her figurative pencil drawings in 2013, and has won several awards with them in juried local and international art exhibitions in Ottawa and online. Later, she took up mixed media, acrylic and pastel painting because they appealed to her love of colour and gave her unlimited means to stretch the limits of visual expression. Variety for her is a must, she refuses to limit her my work and medium to one style. She works with graphite, charcoal, coloured, and pastel pencils, as well as with soft pastels, acrylic, oil and mixed media. Most of her works are realistic in style, but she also loves creating abstract and surreal pieces.
Erika is currently an active member of the Nepean Fine Arts League, Arteast, Kevin Dodds Gallery, and Pastel Artists Canada. She exhibits throughout the year in solo shows, in various group shows, as well as in other artistic events in Ottawa and online.
Erika gladly accepts people and pet portrait commissions of graphite/charcoal pencil drawings or pastel and oil paintings. Visit her commissions website at www.portraitsfrompicture.com for details.
Creating art has become one of the biggest joys of my life. I thrive on that feeling of urgency and excitement that I get when the creative juices start flowing in my brain and urge me to pick up a pencil, a brush, or a pastel stick and just have fun with it.
I feel that I am only at the beginning of my artistic journey. There is so much more that I can try, so many new ways to challenge myself. This journey is worth all the hard work, because for me it is both deeply therapeutic and emotionally fulfilling.
- “Summer Splendour”, St. Laurent Public Library, 2016
- “A Tapestry of Colours”, Cafe 111, Ottawa City Hall, 2015
- “Figurative Mix”, Blackburn Hamlet Public Library, 2015
- “Pencil Works”, Centrepointe Theatre Gallery, 2015
- “Artist of the Month”, 25One Community, 2014
- “Pencil Works”, The Table, 2014
- “Tender Moments”, Lunasole Resto-Bar, 2014
- “Pencil Works”, Irene’s Pub, 2014
Selected Group Shows:
- Ongoing exhibitions at the Foyer Gallery since 2013
- Ongoing exhibitions at the Kevin Dodds Gallery since 2016
- “Mosaic” juried exhibition, Trinity Gallery, 2015 and 2014
- “Figureworks” juried exhibition, St.Brigid’s Centre for the Arts, 2014 – 2015
- Arteast Award Winners, Shenkman Arts Centre, 2014, 2015
- Arteast Juried Exhibition, St. Laurent Complex, 2014 and 2013
- “Art of Imagination”, Orange Gallery, 2014
- “Summer’s Pleasures”, François Dupuis Centre, 2014
- “Toronto Art for Peace”, Moniker Gallery, Toronto, 2014
- 3rd Carleton Community Art Show, Carleton University Art Gallery, 2014
- “Touched by Fire” juried exhibition, Toronto, 2013
- “Selections” juried exhibition, Trinity Gallery, Shenkman Arts Centre, 2013